Selection, Measuring, and Order of Your Pool Fence
Protect-A-Child Pool Fencing should be ordered directly through your local distributor where installation can be accomplished for you. The cost and operation of a stand mounted diamond core drill can make self installation impractical where installation services are available. Visit our Pool Fence Distributor Locator page to find your local distributor.
If you live in an area where no Protect-A-Child distributor is listed, please contact us for help in ordering your pool fence. We specialize in the export of our pool fence to all who need this valuable protection anywhere in the world. We will consult with you as to what fence and how much of it you need as well as making sure your order is correct and that you understand how to install it. Below are details that will help you decide what Protect-A-Child Pool Fence or pool cover system would be the best choice for your use. Please take the time to review the pool fence options and ordering instructions as this will help ensure that your order is both accurate and complete. Don't hesitate to call, email or fax us with any questions!
Protect-A-Child Pool Fencing is available with two different support post options. The fence posts are the most important part of your pool fence because they provide all the support to the fence. Click here to watch our instructional video of mesh pool fence post strength to gain an understanding of how critical post strength is. Posts not engineered to withstand the impact of children falling against them and the constant strain of fence tension itself can become bent and crooked as well as knocked down and rendered ineffective. The stronger the posts, the stronger - and safer - the pool fence. The advantages of each are as follows:
1. PREMIER LINE POOL FENCE with our unbreakable, unbendable composite fiberglass fence posts.
This fence incorporates our top quality "QUAD-BILT”, “solid core” composite fiberglass posts and moldings. In this fence both the fence support posts and molding strips that attach the mesh to the post are made of space age composite fiberglass.
The advantages of this type of support post include the following:
The posts are unbreakable and can never become bent. This means you never have to worry about a child or adult falling against the fence and bending or breaking the fence posts leaving your pool unprotected. The fact that these posts cannot become bent also means your fence never become bent or crooked so it will always remain straight and attractive.
The color of the post is built-in with colored resins so it won't flake or peel off.
The fence is 100% non-metallic so will not conduct electricity. This will be a requirement to pass your swimming pool final electrical inspection.
These solid core fiberglass posts are backed with an unlimited* lifetime warranty against bending and breakage.
- 2. SILVER SERIES POOL FENCE (Aluminum Post Fencing)
Our aluminum post fences are stronger than most competing mesh pool fence posts. They are "double wall" thick with 2 - .063” “thickwall” aluminum tubes - (the post and an insert) reinforcing them at the critical bottom fulcrum point where the post exits the patio.
- This double wall aluminum support makes our aluminum post fence among the strongest aluminum post fences on the market.
Durable electrostatically applied color finish.
Warranted for life against defects in materials and workmanship. (Warranty does not include post breakage or bending)
We use the strongest 1000 denier PVC coated polyester mesh available. We can't say enough about this mesh. We have used it continuously for over 27 years on tens of thousands of mesh pool fences with zero failures. This is the strongest, most transparent, most durable, weather proof mesh available. Proven in climates from the cold winters of Canada to the hot southwest deserts. Our mesh is bordered with a heavy duty, 14 oz., marine grade vinyl border and the highest UV resistant marine grade thread to bind them together. We have used this mesh, binding and thread combination exclusively for 26 years also with zero failures. Covered by our lifetime warranty it is available in the top selling colors of black, tan, and brown.
Assembly & Installation Components
SCREWS: The posts are attached to the mesh with stainless steel round head screws spaced no greater than 4.5” (11.4 cm) apart for a solid attachment of mesh to post. Three screws at top and bottom assure the strongest attachment of mesh to post at critical points. Compare this with many competitors who space screws every 6"-8" with only 1 or 2 screws at top and bottom. Extra attention is given to our screws matching color as they are first electrostatically primed and then painted for a durable, safe finish. This is why you won't see the paint chipped off our screws even years down the road. Round head screws are also essential for safety if children fall against them. The hex head screws you see on some fences leave a sharp, square shoulder that can cut little arms and foreheads.
SECTION LATCH: Choice of latches: Our patented Point Lock Secure Pool Fence latch is crafted from solid stainless steel and provides the ultimate in safety, ease of operation, and adjustability. It is also key lockable with padlocks if called for by code. We also offer stainless steel safety gate hooks for those looking for pet fences and less secure options.
SLEEVES: "Size adapting" plastic sleeves require a 1 ¼” (32mm) core drill bit.
PATIO CAPS: Available to cover the post holes when the fence is removed. Available in tan, white, grey, or brick red.
DIRT SLEEVES: Custom aluminum tubing designed to provide support for the fence when it must cross the dirt or grass.
Size & Color Options
|6' (1.83m)||3 posts attached at 36" intervals||Black
|9' (2.74m)||4 posts attached at 36" intervals|
|12' (3.66m)||5 posts attached at 36" intervals|
|15' (4.57m)||6 posts attached at 36" intervals|
WHERE SHOULD THE FENCE BE PLACED ON MY PATIO?
To measure the amount of fencing you must first decide the best path for your fence to follow. Keep in mind the following:
- Block off all exits from the house to the pool. It is usually best to surround the swimming pool however sometimes you can tie in to existing fences enclosing the pool with an "L" or "U" shape.
- Minimize frequent adult traffic through the fence. Your goal is to need to open the fence only when using the pool. i.e., do not block off areas you must pass through daily. Constantly having to go in and out of the fence means gates could be left open.
- Consider that you and your child will now be able to use the outside patio area everyday as an extended play area– but the swimming pool is used less often. For this reason it is usually preferable to maximize the usable patio area outside the fence by placing the fence closer to the pool. Any patio area left inside the fence by the pool is only usable generally during pool use.
- Remember that one of the best features of this fence is that it is easily removable. If you need more patio area while using the pool, all or part of the fence can be quickly removed exposing one side, two sides or the entire patio.
HOW SHOULD I MEASURE MY POOL?
Once you determine the best route for your fence you will need to decide:
- Where you wish to place any gate openings.
- Whether you wish to use a self closing or manual gate system.
- The mix of section lengths you will need to enclose the pool taking into consideration where gates will fall.
If the fence will not encircle the pool. Start your measurement on one end and measure to where the gate will land. Note that distance. Now do the same from the other end of the gate. Try and start the fence on the end that allows you to use standard 3' lengths to reach the gate. (ie. a length divisible by "3") You will want to order sections that do not need to be altered to span this distance if at all possible. The remaining side will likely require customization so you will order the closest length sections available.
Fencing is available in the length sections specified above. Order the correct lengths of sections to land your gates where necessary and then to finish off the remaining length of fencing using the maximum number of the longest sections possible. Remember that self closing gates will use up 3’ of length so can be subtracted from the total.
If the required length of fence is 100' (30m), we recommend you order as many 15’ (4.57m) sections as possible and make up the difference with the necessary shorter length. Final customization is easily accomplished on the patio deck.
(INSTALLATION IN GRASS OR DIRT)
We manufacture special aluminum tubes designed to support the fence in the grass or dirt. These “dirt spikes” can be driven into the ground to a depth necessary to provide good support to the fence. They are available in 4’ lengths and can be cut to the length necessary depending upon how hard the ground is. Generally 2’ is sufficient to support the fence post.
All fencing comes fully assembled (posts pre-attached to the mesh), and is shipped with 1 polyvinyl sleeve per pole, 1 latch per section, and 2 lock in deck screws per section to enable you to utilize this feature. This is sufficient to install the fence in a normal configuration that would encircle the pool. Installations that do not encircle the pool will require an additional latch to complete the installation.
If you feel you will need additional parts (such as additional sleeves for extra layback holes at the manual gate, additional latches, or additional lock in deck screws), please specify this at the time of order.
***With each export order we will supply a US standard “feet and inches” tape measure to help make installations of the 36” spacing sections easier to accomplish.
Note: We do not manufacture fencing with fence posts attached on 1 meter centers. In our humble opinion spreading out the fence posts that additional length creates an unacceptable loss in rigidity.
WHAT WE WILL NEED TO KNOW WHEN YOU ORDER:
1. Your name, telephone, shipping address, and email.
2. The height of fence. 3 1/2' (1.07m), 4' (1.22m), 5' (1.52m)
4. Color of post, border, mesh. (ie, “tan post, black mesh, tan border” or “all black”, etc.)
5. The number and length of each section necessary (ie. 5 – 4.57m sections).
6. How many self-closing gates (if any).
7. Color and number of patio caps desired. (Tan, white, brick red, grey)
8. Any additional parts? (ie. extra posts, sleeves, latches, dirt spikes, etc.)
9. If you need a diamond core bit.
RECOMMENDED INSTALLATION EQUIPMENT
Installation of Protect-A-Child Pool Fencing in a concrete patio is best performed using a stand mounted core drill. This machine uses a garden hose hooked to it to supply a trickle of water running through the hollow diamond tipped core bit. Diamond core bits are available from Protect-A-Child, size is 1 ¼” or 32 mm.
It is recommended to take advantage of the experience and training of an authorized Protect-A-Child distributor. Like any unique product, installation of a removable mesh pool fence has procedures that must be followed to attain the safest and most attractive installation. Self installation is typically not cost effective due to the need to rent a stand mounted core drill and purchase the necessary 1 ¼” (32 mm) diamond drill bit. (Drill bits are available from Protect-A-Child). Click on this Find Your Dealer link to locate your local distributor. In export situations when there is no dealer available we will provide necessary installation instructions so that you will be successful installing the fence. These instructions will be included with the fence order.
- We specialize in exporting our fence to customers around the world who need this valuable safety fence. Our experienced shipping department will make sure the fence is delivered to your door and we will help you get it installed correctly.
- We ship within 3 days via UPS, FED EX airfreight, or your specified carrier once payment is received. Please let us know your shipping preference when ordering.
- Box size is approximately 52”x15”x15” (132cmx38cmx38cm). This size box will contain (4)-4.57m (15’) sections or a maximum of 60’ (18.3 m) of fence per box.
- Weight of a full box is approximately 80 lbs or 36 kilos per box containing 60’ (18.3m) of 4’ (1.22m) fence.
- Export fencing orders must be prepaid via wire transfer. Contact us for instructions.
US: 800. 992. 2206
Canada: 877. 992. 2206
International: 772. 288.5020
Fax: 772. 288-5029